Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The day before yesterday's Reflection 2

Well, Monday's lesson was much easier to understand :D (even though I was a bit Z.Z at the start since I had just woken up, and later on really hungry since I hadn't had dinner... wah I couldn't take my eyes off Tomithy's food for quite a long while).

So Monday's lesson was about... mm :D In my current tired state I remember Prof saying that we can refer to other people's blogs, so...

... found one on sleep deprivation HAHA. I think it was in TSS before but this one got graphs that are swimming before my eyes. I cannot agree more that sleep is important, and although this is only the 2nd week, we are all really deprived of sleep. (see my vocabulary sucks now)

Oh ya, so what did I learn. I think that table where you actually prioritize the things you want to do is really helpful, even if it is a real hassle to decide exactly the priority and to even make it. Since when we get into the heat of things we tend to focus on too many things and losing sight of what is most important, so it really helps to keep people on track. Especially when you are dreaming really, really big.

Ugh anyway I'm feeling pretty useless right now blah why am I even blogging instead of working? Oh ya, it's homework :P I really think the programmers have to do way more work. And I can't quite learn all this programming stuff fast enough. Just sort of went though html an CSS but it's not committed to memory. Probably only can do a bad job at best with lots of referring. So most of what I do now is uhh sit and think about the app and what to draw, which isn't real action and intangible (and so many times the idea's end up seeming really stupid and I feel my time is completely WASTED. As a result wasted time>useful time). Not even sure if it's useful... and I just keep thinking the icons now are not very pretty or professional, even though they are meant to be rough. Not really creative either and I'm feeling really vexed over something so small. And I never thought the less pictures there is, the harder it'll be to think what to do. It's blaaaaaaaaaah. How do other people in the world actually conceive things so quickly!

GAH. Okay, back to uhh thinking unless the sandman gets me firsrt

8 comments:

  1. boo and I was ganna close the windows and I see glaring grammar errors. so forgive me whoever reads this ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably only can do a bad job at best with lots of referring.

    Believe it or not, many programmers aren't walking dictionaries of completing code either. (i'm not...at least) They refer too.

    Plus, there's this awesome thing called IDE (integrated design environment), which basically helps you auto-complete every single thing. So, code's really the easy part.

    But, i felt similarly helpless, even as a SoC student. I'm pretty new to web dev too. Plus, (fortunately AND unfortunately) we are surrounded by pretty damn talented people in class.

    which isn't real action and intangible (and so many times the idea's end up seeming really stupid and I feel my time is completely WASTED. As a result wasted time>useful time)

    Thats not true. Good ideas/designs are born out of bad ones. Don't believe me? Well, don't. But believe a pro.

    Well, I'm so free to read everyone's block cos my designing is not going great either, but we should take heart! Prof Ben's mantra of what doesnt kill you makes you stronger would be useful here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why am I even blogging instead of working? Oh ya, it's homework

    Actually, it's not *just* homework. It's a tool to help me figure out what you know and what you learnt.

    sort of went though html an CSS but it's not committed to memory.

    You're not supposed to commit stuff to memory anyhow. The general idea is to learn what you need as you go along. This is called "Learning by Doing".

    ReplyDelete
  4. "grammar errors" omg haha.

    Bleh but I actually find blogging a chore :P I do reflect on my own on the bus back or before I sleep haha, blogging is like writing all that out, which makes it almost seem like an essay :P

    ye I guess we don't "commit to memory", but it would be so awesome if I could just pull everything out from the back of my head :( I am learning so slowly :/ kinda wish I was like uhh Mozart :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. "grammar errors" omg haha.

    You can go back, edit your post and fix the errors you know. I also tend to have a lot of typos the first time I type out a post. It's not entirely a big deal 'cos this is a CS course and not an English course.

    I actually find blogging a chore :P I do reflect on my own on the bus back or before I sleep haha, blogging is like writing all that out, which makes it almost seem like an essay.

    Sorry about that. If they somehow invent a mind-reading machine and I can figure out what you think without having you write it down, I won't ask you guys (and girls) to blog anymore.

    But part of the whole process is to "force" you to sit down and organize your thoughts. The very act of having to articulate our ideas will often help us clarify exactly what we think.

    Well, at least I know you like chicken. :-)

    I am learning so slowly

    Try to make sure that you and your group work on something you're excited about. If you regard your assignments and Final Projects and homework, learning might be a chore; since you get to choose what you want to do, try to find something that excites you and that you would have done anyway even if you weren't taking this class. If you do stuff you really care about, learning will be less of a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I am excited, that's why I'm bemoaning that I can't get it all fast enough :p like my brain cannot catch up at all even though I desperately want to. Anyway, good idea though :D I'll start thinking that I lurrrve blogging hahaha

    and thank you Jon so much for the article about bad designs. I was kinda pissed about my wasted designs, but if there are people doing 40 over pieces and only choosing one and trashing the rest, then I really should not be complaining.

    "they don’t point to magic or divine inspiration, but describe how many attempts they must make to create things of the quality they desire."

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah :D i havent read the last book though :( like so sad no more dream... daniel has only half the coolness factor

    ReplyDelete