Monday, February 1, 2010

Flixster "Critique"

All right! I was assigned "Flixter" (it's really Flixster - do I get brownie points for noting a tiny typo HAHA) and it's pretty cool since this was the first app I used after joining Facebook. Orry mentioned a loyal fan base from the original site - well, I was one of them ;D

So, about the app, i.e. what I think is significant.

Well, I think the thing that the most obviously unique thing about Flixster as an app would be that it is less reliant on Facebook that other apps - like Orry has said, it won't die if Facebook is gone. It has it's own site and all. And that's what makes it a great app. When it came onto Facebook, it already had a lot of functions in place already - it was merely integrating it into Facebook. It gave them a huge advantage since it was probably one of the better apps when Facebook first started out, and it gave them A LOT of exposure. Flixster setting up in Facebook was a great idea due to it's vast network. It was perfect.

In the original Flixster site, your friends actually have to have a Flixster account for interaction, and well, unless you are a movie buff, why would you specifically create a Flixster account? :P (okay, you would, just not as many as they would on Facebook). By integrating it into Facebook (from here on referred to as FB, so tiresome to type it in full) they harnessed it's power: a vast network of connected friends. The users that they needed was just there in and delivered right into their hands. Of course, the users had to actually allow the Flixster app, but it removed hassle - only a few clicks (for those with existing FB account; people are more likely to key in their data for a FB account that Flixster), and therefore a huge encouragement for people to use their FB app. It was great advertisement for their main site as well.

So, so what if it didn't start out in Facebook :p If an app like Flixster started out in FB w/o an existing template, it'd be impressive. The fact it is an app that is sort of an advertisement that comes from another site doesn't undermine it at all. I think it's actually rather fortunate since it makes a much stronger app :D

As mentioned, I was a loyal fan of Flixster (but I don't watch movies so much now. Heck, I've only watched one this year). And there are plenty of other loyal fans like me. When Flixster started in FB, it brought along with it a ton of data about existing users on their main, which was imported into the FB app. Yeah, if my memory serves me right (I am old) I was pleasantly surprised to see all the info in my Flixster account was in FB so it saved me a lot of time. And plenty of my friends who saw there was already info in the app were obviously encouraged to use it also. They'd get more reviews and matches. Again, this gave them a competitive advantage.

So, the FB version isn't as comprehensive, and it really has nothing new from the main site. I think rather than a bane, it's a good thing. You don't want the FB version eclipsing the main site. It wouldn't be good if all their users moved there; it isn't a replacement. Then they may as well close down the main site and shift to FB. The thing is, the FB version shouldn't be too different from the original Flixster site - it'd be messy for one thing. Then I'd have to be using both the FB Flixster AND the main for different purposes. The FB Flixster, I feel, is more of a really quick thing - an at a glance to serve the basic purposes of the main. It doesn't intend to draw users from one site to FB, but the FB app enhances and makes more convenient the original experience. And I think it has achieved it's purpose well.

I think the important thing about Flixster on FB is that it really shows how flexible and powerful FB is. Not only do new, FB dependent apps come up, but old sites evolve also. Even sites with their own loyal fan base see the need to, or perhaps value in setting up in Facebook and it's really win-win. A lot more similar sites will replicate what they have in FB if they haven't already done so. It doesn't make sense not to. And it's really scary if you think about how some people may actually end up doing everything online from FB some day. Well, I think it is possible anyway, haha. Flixster is a nice case study of something that has successfully harnessed and used FB to their advantage, and I think it may have been a better idea to discuss that, rather than Flixster's uses as a whole - because really, that is not very unique to FB.

One thing I think that does suck would be that it was mentioned the database only contains US/CA movies :( But I think that is the market they are focusing on, but they are missing out on a lot. If even my 7yo cousin can possibly play Texas Hold'Em on FB, why can't people review a Chinese movie on Flixster? Well, I am not a law student, so, actually I'm just saying. It may be easier said than done, and they probably have real reasons (=

End.

---

On an unrelated note:

My wave group met today. Glad I am in another awesome team :D We are like some United Nations - all from different countries HAHA.

28 comments:

  1. My wave group met today. Glad I am in another awesome team :D We are like some United Nations - all from different countries HAHA.

    Er.... the assignment isn't even released yet and you've already met??? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, ya, to get to know each other and chit chat. I learnt a valuable lesson from J.Lo, i.e. team dynamics. I think the whole reason our group got along so well initially was b/c he actually met with all of us before the app started and just talked about anything.

    So my wave group met this time :D (I know Jonathan is jealous that we are soo proactive) And I can say while there was a lot of long, awkward silences at the start, after a while we were talking a lot HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it was fun to meet up. We were there all the time Prof Ben was talking to another group of people outside SR2.

    Team dynamics do matter and I think we have a good team. And we really have a diverse team now! Fun to work with of course. We really talked about anything and everything ranging from modules to faculties and to how crazy 3216 is. Hoping for awesome team work here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard from your group mates that your spelling wasn't too great either :P How come you spotted the typo? Haha

    So, the FB version isn't as comprehensive, and it really has nothing new from the main site. I think rather than a bane, it's a good thing. You don't want the FB version eclipsing the main site. It wouldn't be good if all their users moved there; it isn't a replacement.

    I think this is an excellent, albeit interesting observation. I agree with you as well. The features on the facebook addition, or lack thereof, is great for an application of its nature. I think its a good marketing stratergy.

    About the market, I think so many apps fall into the same trap. Perhaps they are too conceited with themselves to think that US is enough to provide the market, perhaps they think its better to focus on one market.

    On an unrelated note, I think that the acquisition of rotten tomatoes is an excellent move. The fanbase of rotten tomatoes is huge. The combination of both resources and fanbase is a dream come true for most movie fanatics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, I think they are losing much by ignoring the market outside the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not so sure if they are ignoring th market outside the US so much as having real reasons for not doing so. How can you ignore India and China o.o Probably has some complications. Ya, I also think buying over Rotten Tomatoes was good :D Only the entry was too long so I didn't add that in HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, it's not that these companies are ignoring the Chinese and Indian markets. The truth of the matter is that something that works in the US cannot always be executed in the same way in say China. We've seen many cases of US firms failing to take root in China, e.g. Google losing to Baidu, even though they have both a first-mover advantage and superior technology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Orry mentioned a loyal fan base from the original site - well, I was one of them ;D

    I am assigned the same topic but I am just the opposite of u, I don't watch a lot of movies.

    In the original Flixster site, your friends actually have to have a Flixster account for interaction, and well, unless you are a movie buff, why would you specifically create a Flixster account?

    I did previously out of curiousity, but I don't use it.

    @Ben Leong: We've seen many cases of US firms failing to take root in China
    China banned a lot of website, tt's why?

    Hmmm... why are we blogging abt the same topic and u get all the comments, i get none? I posted too late? =X

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Li Yen xD

    Everyone, please visit:

    http://wlynuscs3216.blogspot.com/2010/02/facebook-seminar-flixster-presentation.html

    ---
    Anyway, what I meant was that people are less likely to specifically key in all their info to create a Flixster account than to just allow the app on Facebook (it's easier). :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm part of Shannon's Google Wave group too! Initially when we first sat down, it feels awkward, because we did not know how to start. But after chatting a while, well it feels good! I seldom get such a proactive group, and it's actually what I like!

    So I'm looking forward to do the project with them (the key thing is do project with them, I don't like the google wave assignment, haha..)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually the facebook integration of Flixster actually introduced me to Flixster. I did not know there's such a site called flixster in the past.

    But soon after using it, I found the lack of global support is quite a bad thing. They have conveniently shut off their reach to the global market by limiting the features. This is why in the end I still go to Yahoo! Movies to check out my cinema timings and reviews..

    But if the features were extended to global reach, I think it would be great. The features such as finding friends who also want to watch the movie is great. Because I usually have a lot of movies on my hands that I wanted to watch, but because I couldn't find anyone to watch, in the end I missed the movie.

    So I agree with you that actually FB is very powerful, it evolves the Flixster site and allow FB users to get information from it. It certainly suits me too.. If there were no FB, I wouldn't want to sign up on flixster because I don't know who else are on flixster, but since there's facebook and everyone can see my fb wall, I would just need to use this fb app to publish things on the wall, which I think it's better!

    - Hong Jun

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm... well the difference is that Yahoo has staff in many countries. Not sure if they have as much staff in Flixster or as spread out... but I actually think it's qutie cool if the Yahoo! movies idea was in Flixster. Just dunno if they have the manpower and support to get that done. Or want to get that done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow I feel that Flixster has no intention to branch out because of the fear of restrictions imposed by other countries.

    But if Flixster can collaborate with Yahoo!, the result will seem great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome number of comments!
    Anyway, I haven't really heard or seen flixster until this seminar. Maybe my circle of friends are all too poor to watch movies :p.
    Anyway, I think Flixster (and many others like hulu, netflix etc) only focus on the US market because in order to reach a global audience you need to have a strong foundation. I guess when they're strong enough, they can move out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Li Yen,

    why are we blogging abt the same topic and u get all the comments, i get none? I posted too late?

    That's why you need to learn from the business folks. This is called the first mover advantage or "early bird gets the worm". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, Li Yen is smart :P To make up for it, you come to the first mover's entry and ask people to visit yours. Done like a true biz student!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @joshua

    one issue is conflicting user interests.
    The chinese/indian audiences have completely different user opinions, so all the reviews, movies and information have to cater for their needs.

    p.s. while we're on topic, do drop me some comments!

    Its also (probably) a chore to update their database with 20 years of foreign movies without promised returns

    ReplyDelete
  19. @doomdg I think updating the database is not a problem right? They're constantly updating their database with new movies right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are Flixster-critics regionally diverse?

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Everyone: Since Shannon has got so many comments already, why not take a look at my blog? haha.. http://mycs3216experience.blogspot.com/2010/02/about-superpoke-tomithys-group.html

    @Li Yen: I guess why your blog isn't as popular is because Shannon is a fan of Flixster while you just started playing with it not long ago. That is why she can provide more insights as compared to what you did. But it's okie. I don't think it's the quantity of comments that count? Being a new user of the app, you can get to learn more right? Okie I'll go support your blog. Be right there!

    - Hong Jun

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my tian... Shannon you should start charging advertisement fees!
    BTW, check out my blog http://joshuatj.com
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL my blog turned into an advertisement thread. But that is great. CS3216 students are smart :D Next, someone is gonna link on every single person's blog :P But I only comment if I have something to add, or if what I wanna say hasn't been pointed out yet.

    Someone who should start charging is *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  24. who ar? who ar? who's the *cough*?

    ReplyDelete
  25. The really popular one on CS3216 ;P Go figure

    ReplyDelete
  26. @joshua

    What I meant is all the trouble to cater for audiences in other countries may not be economically worth the time and effort.

    @Shannon

    You've fulfiled your destiny as the blog link "Model" :p

    ReplyDelete
  27. @doomdg I see. I guess that just mean that it's opportunity for us! Untapped market!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree with Joshua. As long as you can break into the market, it's going to be worth the time and effort. The question is whether you can break in successfully at all.

    ReplyDelete