Friday, March 5, 2010

Random Post

Hmm so I'm finally defragging my tablet, so I've got some spare time... actually this is the second time I'm attempting... the last time it took 5h and shut down halfway (so long one meh... and I hope my comp doesn't get affected by that crash...)

And so I read the peer appraisals. I didn't know they were going to be anonymous hahaha. But it's okay... actually the comments are rather nice. I mean, REALLY nice - comparatively. I feel kinda bad about what I wrote now :P But if it helps, I usually give "nastier" feedback to people I like :P Well, I didn't think they sounded nasty, but helpful, but now I'm thinking they might have been (again, comparatively) Anyhow, too nice also cannot improve la... so actually I am being nice in the long run HAHA. Uh, but if I can't find bad points to write, it doesn't mean I think you suck, but the opposite.

I think when we read feedback, we tend to think "Really meh?", "No... I'm not like that what."... or "Yeah, that's true." and other trains of thought... okay, that was ambiguous :) But I think there is a tendency to disagree with maybe 1 or 2 of the feedback given. Though whether it was our intention or not, responders are basically writing about the impression we have given, and that's what we are often judged on, so it's still really important to KIV those points.

The best feedback I got (thank you to whoever wrote it):

"Shannon needs to be more active in defining her own roles: on what she can and wants to do. "
I kinda knew that myself, but I didn't know it was so obvious even to others. And this is really weighing on my mind now because it is so true :/ Is it so obvious! It's not just projects, but my life as a whole... and ya this is something that always makes me feel like a screwed up person.

And do I really seem to get emotional over comments :X HAHA, I need to change the expression and tone on my face when I disagree with something. I usually do take note of the way I express myself in public, but not usually with people I am working closely with in a team. Figured being to the point works best, hmm, but I may have come across as getting upset (I don't). But ya, I do think people will end up "lashing" back at me even if I don't realize it (I'm trying to recall who now :)) and this is where I may fail to stop because I'm enjoying it so much... :P (I don't think that the other party may not be enjoying it as much HAHA) I like umm... spirited discussions and it's really a habit of mine to... criticize... nicely... I hate admitting this. I sometimes even like to bring up things I already know the answer to or stand up for things I don't agree with just for fun. Though I've been trying to stop doing that because my mom says it'll get me killed some day... and I do sometimes feel guilty after that. But mostly in this class I thought I was okay with my tone when I'm talking to people in general, but I guess I sometimes forget to do so when it gets down to the work itself. I do give praise where it's due though!

And ya, I guess I need to stop being vague with some of my comments. I'm just not very good at expressing myself sometimes (and when I'm tired another bad habit kicks in: "I'll elaborate another time"), and sometimes I just leave it short since I thought I was just pointing out something obvious. Though I realize that other people don't think like me, I don't think like other people, and we tend not to think that we don't think like the other even if we are aware of the fact, though we could. (I like long convoluted sentences :P) So I'll work on this too now. It's really laziness I know.

Abrupt place the end, but gotta go to church.

7 comments:

  1. oohh.. your font is big! Anyway I appreciate your 'nastier' feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why the font like that haha. It's the normal size. How come people can tell which feedback I give when it's anonymous =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha cos it's nasty enough to differentiate yourself? lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, I'll take note :P but for me I view brutal feedbacks to myself as favours :X but ya not everyone feels the same

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's pretty useful too.. At least now I recognize there's such a problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya same for me, the feedback helped a lot since I reflected on some points. I kinda realize some stuff I say seems like judgement statements and it discredits me even if they aren't because people just start assuming it is always so... as ji wei says it's all in the phrasing!

    ReplyDelete