Sunday, March 7, 2010

FB games will never be the same for me...

Ugh. CS3216 has completely changed my unthinking, accepting, enjoyable app playing life. I have realized that I have of late unconsciously begun to evaluate every single game I play -- which shouldn't be happening when I am relaxing!! I keep thinking stuff like "ooh, smart they placed this here instead of here" or "ahh I can see why they made this interface change" and such... kinda made me realize how thought out some of all these apps really are (which I never thought before), so much thought has gone into even the very minor details. It's really impressive, and yet intimidating, because I keep comparing what we have to do against that, and... boy, it's so hard to measure up. I don't think we even pay attention to half the details due to time constraints, so it'll all be improvements along the way. It kind of reminds me of the external pitching session where a guy (Zaki?) was talking about how they actually get someone in to tweak the smallest details to make a game stick/viral. Every little thing counts. I therefore have the impression when people say "don't think so much, and just do", they aren't downplaying going through the details properly, because already have a fairly clear idea and have the details well thought out... they simply mean we should just go ahead and work properly with what we think works, rather than worrying whether the details we have thought of (and not ignored) will work well/not if we think they will, i.e. don't let doubts get in the way of what you believe in. Though also, I think we should also not let doubts get in the way for things we are unsure of, some things are a matter of "just try", although we have to be clear to distinguish what should be something where "you won't know until you try"and things we shouldn't approach with a "you won't know until you try" attitude and therefore approach it with uncertainty. For me, it always intrigues me how changing the smallest things makes the world of a difference, although I am not sure if that's what we should be focusing on in this class given time constraints, but it's something really interesting that I'd like to go into further in the future.

Man, that was one long paragraph that was rather rambly. I'll edit if I have time (which means it'll only have a 8% chance of happening - don't ask me about the number choice).

2 comments:

  1. I therefore have the impression when people say "don't think so much, and just do", they aren't downplaying going through the details properly, because already have a fairly clear idea and have the details well thought out.

    In my view, good execution consists of two things: (i) eye on the big picture; and (ii) attention for details. These two things are like contradictory, but in all things you have to strike the right balance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but it's easy to say we need to strike the balance in everything :( But what exactly is the right balance? I think even with trial and error, we will find it hard to achieve that, although perhaps we can get as close to it as possible :/ So it'll just wind up a constant, never ending refinement...

    ReplyDelete